With the coming of fast food chains at every corner, the problem of obesity has multiplied leading people to get conscious about their health more than ever. A lot of people are cutting down carbohydrates and fats from their daily food. They are trying new diet plans and switching to regular yoga and exercise instead of going to gym. Though many later on find that either the diet plan they decided to follow is not suiting them, is not producing the desired results or is so tasteless that they are unable to swallow. In that case there is healthier as well as tastier diet plan for health conscious people. A person can easily switch to or include Indian food with their normal/ regular diet. This is the easiest and equally effective way to reduce weight. Following are the few things can you can try:
1. Lentil curry (dal)- Dal is most effective in maintaining as well as reducing weight as it is loaded with vitamins and minerals. The lentils are stewed in water and later tempered with garlic, onion, ginger, turmeric, cumin and chili powder. Spices increase the metabolism of the body as well as eradicate common illness such as cold, cough and sore throat. It also helps in reducing blood cholesterol due to its richness in high soluble fiber. Lentils also contribute to healthy functioning of the heart as it has a high content of magnesium. Not only this, lentils are rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals and fiber and have zero fat content. Hence you are at zero risk of putting on weight.
2. Idli- Idli is a part of south Indian cuisine which is made with fermented rice and black gram. They are steam cooked and hence have no fat and are full of proteins and vitamin B. Usually they are eaten with coconut chutney, green chutney and sambhar. This is an alternate dish for those people who are bored of eating oats.
3. Curry- Indians are famous for their age old curry. When the name “curry” occurs people usually have a perception that curry is made with thick creamy layer that is accompanied with butter chicken or kormas. But there is more to that. Curry can also be made in a different style with the use of tomatoes, ginger, garlic and various condiments and spices. It is a unique blend of health and taste that can be had on a regular basis without worrying about weight gain.
4. Healthy spices- India is known as the land of spices. Spices contribute to weight reduction to a certain extent. You can easily include cinnamon, cloves cumin seeds, ginger, mustard seeds, turmeric and black pepper in your food for effective weight loss.
5. Ragi- Ragi is a very popular annual plant that is loaded with a lot of healthy nutrients. It is a good source of iron, protein, calcium and other minerals. It is also good in fiber and a source of effective weight loss. You can make various foods including ragi for example in upma, idli, and also in homemade energy drinks. Various recipes of the same are available on internet.